September - May
Sophomores- 2 years by Sept 1
Tue/Thur- 9a-12p OR 9a-1:30p
PreK I- 3 yrs by Sept 1
PreK II- at least 4 yrs by Sept 1
Summer program offered to families enrolled the previous academic year.
Empowering each student
We celebrate the uniqueness of each child and design curriculum to help every student grow in each stage of development: intellectually, emotionally, socially, spiritually, and physically.
Engaging students in learning
We believe young children learn best through play and exploration. We focus on the processes of learning (not the end product) and building the skills needed to make students successful as they continue to learn through the years. We make learning fun through hands-on activities, play-based learning centers, art, free play exploration, and school-wide thematic units that encourage creativity and community. Daily quiet times (for all classes except noon release sophomore class) give children the chance to learn to quiet themselves and focus on learning about self regulation, working on individual activities or to take a rest.
Small class sizes make it easy for teachers to focus on each child's learning pace. Sophomore and PreK I classes have 12 students max per class with two teachers. PreK II classes have 9 students max per class with one lead teacher and a floater to help whenever needed.
Enhancing learning through enrichment programs, including
- School Readiness Projects, for prek i & ii classes, these projects teach handwriting, literacy, math and school readiness skills through developmentally appropriate, multi-sensory, play-based activities, song & rhyme, games, projects and the TVTeacher handwriting program.
- Handwriting skills begin in the sophomore program by focusing on fine motor activites daily. In prek i we begin working on correct pencil grasp, drawing lines, shapes and progressing to letters and numbers. Our curriculum allows us to work with each child individially at their pace. In prek ii we continue to work on more advanced letters and numbers, both upper and lower case. Marnie Danielson, MHS, OTR/L is one of the creators of our handwriting curriculum (The TV Teacher) and a friend of the school. She joins our prek ii class regularly and our other classes throughout the year to work with students and teachers on fine motor skills assessments.
- Kindermusik, a program based on research demonstrating the benefits of music at each stage of a child’s development. Activities promote each child’s development in mind, body, and sense of play and encourage a lifelong love of music.
- Stretch-N-Grow, (prek i & ii) where children learn to “"Exercise and Eat What's Wise!"
- Weekly Spanish classes for all classes focusing on colors, alphabet, numbers and basic words and songs.
- Chapel weekly with Pastor Kerry and church staff (prek i & ii)
- Art, cooking, science and more are incorporated into our weekly lesson plans.
- Outside groups also offer optional classes after school for those who wish to participate Those classes change yearly and have included things such as dance, cheer, foreign language classes, karate and basketball.
Encouraging service to others
Children, teachers, staff, and parents come together to make a difference in our community and our world through small service projects through the year that teach children about the joy and importance of helping others. Organizations/projects supported by GHP:
- Apple Cider Stand benefiting The Stewpot
- Shoe Drive & Christmas Angel Tree for Emanuel Community Center
- Blessing Bags for the Homeless
- Children's Book Drives
- Kids Against Hunger
Our teachers exceed the minimum standards set by childcare licensing standards, are all experienced in early childhood education and stay current on new teaching techniques and information by participating in a minimum of 24-30 hours of continuing education each year. All staff members are first aid and CPR certified and go through background checks as outlined by Texas Department of Family & Protective Services.
We welcome families of every faith, size, culture, and make up. Contact us to see if our school is the right fit for your family!